Choosing a Runner Width for your staircase or hallway – Shop for Runners by Width –
While there are no “rules” for your stair runner width, you may find it helpful to begin your search by using our width filters. The largest hall and stair runner selection exists among 2 width categories Standard and Wide:
- Extra Narrow – 22″ Approx Runner Width very few selections in this category, Consider our Custom Size Products.
- Standard 26″ to 27.5″ Approx Widths – most commonly used on a staircase width of 40 inches or less.
- Wide 30″ to 33″ Approx Runner Widths – often best for stairs 40 inches wide or more.
- Extra Wide 36″ and 41″ Apprx. Runner Widths – 36″ wide runners (and a small group at 41″) are available for extra wide stairs, generally more than 44 inches for example.
- Custom Width: We also have a separate group of Custom Size Runner products – your width, your length.
When searching this topic, you’re likely to find oversimplified answers to questions like these: “How wide should a stair runner be?” OR “How wide should a carpet runner be on stairs?” But the question you may first want to answer is: “How wide are my stairs?” Staircase and hallway widths vary – you may prefer a runner width in relation to your hall/stairs that falls outside of the suggestions you’ll find.
It is important to understand that staircase and hallway widths vary more than runner product widths – and often within one staircase or hall there are a variety of widths. It is less common for a staircase or hallway to be a consistent width throughout. Many articles place significant focus on the Reveal but there are no “rules” as to the reveal. (Reveal = the exposed area alongside the runner) and the reveal can and often does vary or must vary. If you’ve been told or read that a specific reveal is the rule or if you find this most important to you – the runner will often need to be entirely custom made throughout. We can help with that too: Custom Size Runners
Flexibility on the reveal allows the runner to be a standard width which is generally less costly. However, fabrication (alterations) are possible in some ready-made runner products, handled on a case-by-case basis. OR a stair runner project can utilize a hybrid approach – utilizing custom and standard material. Please Inquire.